February 9, 2009

How old do you have to be to qualify as a mature student?

So university starts on Monday 23rd February. I have to admit that I’m a little nervous, excited and if I’m completely honest; a little scared…. I sound like a first year (although maybe first years are a bit cockier because they are too stupid to know better of their youthful, naivety. I guess the question I’m really asking is: How old do you have to be to be considered a mature student? Well according to Wikipedia I fall into the category.

I remember being sitting at the back of the lecture theatre first time around and wincing everytime a mature student raised their hand to answer a question or worse: to question a lecturer. I remember rolling my eyes at the mundane recollection of this older person’s life example in front of full audience of couldn’t careless commerce students.

And now its come full circle – I’m going to be the mature student, more than likely given a hard time by the cool kids at the back of the class.



I’ve always wondered if there was a Mature Student’s Handbook. – A Guide to University Life, featuring topics such as:

  • Sitting at the front of the class – Ways to attract the lecturers attention.
  • Raising questions demonstrating that you have read the optional suggested readings
  • Asking questions that you then answer in your own question.
  • Using your real life experiences ad nauseum to illustrate your point.

So here’s my lofty, ambitious goal for the year:
I will not be a typical mature student!

In saying that I don’t intend to repeat my first year antics – you could not pay me to consume Tui in the same quantities as the first time round.

Ok FUN stuff now! 

So in preparation for uni I have invested in my first ever Mac - and am now finding that every other screen I look at now is dull and lifeless and is having an adverse affect on my eyes. 

Click here for BBQ madness (Simon you need to come home for a holiday so we can try this) that J found. 

1 comment:

Simon said...

The Bacon Explosion is awesome!